The Perfect Double Bacon Cheeseburger
- Morning Star Griller’s Original Veggie Burgers (2)
- Morning Star Veggie Bacon Strips (2)
- Go Veggie! Pepper Jack Rice Vegan Slices (2)
- Pepperidge Farm Italian Bread with Sesame Seeds
- KA·ME Hot Mustard
- Grilled with: Smart Balance Omega-3 Buttery Spread
- On the side: Heinz “No Salt” Ketchup
The price is right. This costs less than a typical double bacon cheeseburger, and the labor is minimal.
The biggest offender here is the sodium. It adds up to about 58% of the recommended daily sodium (which some say is too lenient as it is!). Just for comparison, a Bacon & Cheese Whopper from Burger King will set you back about 59%.
The sodium here could be scaled back with craftier product selection, as well as by not making everything a double. Here the veg*n beef and bacon accounted for the most sodium, although these Morning Star products did have the lowest sodium out of the veg*n product selection that was available to me, so there isn’t much room for improvement there. The bread added 10% sodium, and so there is definitely potential there. It’s good bread though.